The Minnesota Women's Soccer League
The Minnesota Women's Soccer League was formed in 1978 as a way to fill a void in competitive women's soccer in Minnesota. We started with just a few teams; we are now over 60 teams strong and have grown to be one of the largest women soccer leagues in the Midwest.
The MWSL is proud to represent women from all walks of life.... Maybe you've played soccer since before you could remember or maybe you've watched your kids play for years, or maybe you are just looking for a healthy way to hang out with your friends; regardless of the reason, the MWSL is the place for you!
The MWSL has the following four divisions to cover all skill levels:
D1 is competitive
- Comprised of our highest skilled players
- Players have above average skill, have a high understanding of the game, and are physically fit
- Teams have multiple skilled or dominating players
- 3 referees per game
- 1-2 games per week starting early June and ending early August (Monday/Wednesday Nights)
- Depending on the number of teams that register for D1 – D1 will be split into 1A and 1B; 1A is made of the highest skilled teams (based on past standings, etc)
D2 moderately competitive
- Majority of players have a fairly high skill level and a good understanding of the game.
- Overall team skill is consistent; teams have a few dominating players. Fitness level average.
- 3 referees per game
- 1 game per week starting late May and ending mid August (Tuesday Nights)
D3 is semi recreational
- Mix of players of various skill levels and varying levels of understanding of the game
- Player age and fitness level may vary within a team
- Teams are more interested in improving and having fun, however winning is still their goal
- Depending on the number of teams that register for D3 – D3 will be split into 3A and 3B; 3A contains the higher skilled teams (based on past standings, etc)
- 3 referee's per game
- 1 game per week starting mid May and ending mid August (3B Wednesday or 3A Thursday Nights)
D4 is recreational
- Designed for recreational players and players with little to no soccer experience
o Ideal division for newly formed teams comprised of players with limited experience
- Games are more social in nature with an emphasis on fun and learning
- Player age and fitness level will vary within the team
- 1 referee per game
- 1 game per week starting mid May and ending mid August (Thursday Nights)